If you are updating content in Contentful, and these changes aren't being picked up by Nacelle, the most probable cause is an error with the way webhooks are setup.
The intended behavior is for Nacelle to listen for updates made in Contentful, and automatically index these changes. To accomplish this Contentful sends out a webhook, which Nacelle listens for. If webhooks are not configured correctly, this may causes updates to go unnoticed by Nacelle, forcing you to manually re-index from the Nacelle dashboard.
Here are some common troubleshooting steps that should help in isolating the problem:
Ensure Webhooks Are Properly Configured
You'll want to start by ensuring that your webhook settings in Contentful are correctly setup. This is a multi-step process, which can introduce points of failure. Ensure that each step matches what has been outlined in the docs before moving on.
Capturing An Actual Error
If your webhooks are properly configured, there are still a handful of reasons why Nacelle isn't able to capture updates. The easiest way to narrow the issue down is by finding an actual error message. Luckily Contentful provides an activity log for webhooks.
To find the activity log:
- Login to Contentful, and navigate to the space in question.
- On the navbar, locate Settings -> Webhooks from the dropdown.
- On the Webhooks page, find the relevant webhook. It should be named "Nacelle Content Update," or something related to updating content.
- Make a note of the "% of successful calls." Ideally this should be 100%.
- If it's not 100%, then select the webhook, and look through the activity log.
- In the activity log, look for a log that has failed.
- Make note of the date and time, status code, request, and response headers.